Monday, September 10, 2007

Day 6, 8/23/07 Vancouver to Ganges, Salt Spring Island

The guys got up early to set us off and we had beautiful cruising weather and calm seas all the way to Saltspring Island. Unfortunately we had a rude boater cutting us off and forcing us to land. We literally had to stop the boat and shove it into reverse to avoid collision. The guy clearly didn’t learn the rules of navigation conduct, or didn’t care to practice it. Then later as we were waiting for a slip assignment at Ganges Marina, we had a sailboat right on our stern within inches, while Scott was trying to maneuver the boat. The sailboat then swerved to our starboard side, passing us within feet of our boat as he stormed into the marina to get a slip. We finally got an assigned slip which happened to be right next to him. Ugh! Later we were able to move our boat to another spot right behind Carter’s boat.
We walked into town to enjoy the shops and the sights. Scott was trying to find a UPS store to ship the part back, and I, of course, was looking for ice cream. Carter ducked in to a nice grocery store and got some yummy local blueberries, which we later decided to purchase as well. We met some folks who had a dog just like Stohli –Carter & Jackie’s Bernese Mtn. dog, and we all agreed that Stohli is a much prettier dog with almost perfect markings. And her manners and disposition are a real treat! We went back to the boat, made some dinner and then settled in for another episode of Dead Like Me.
-Admiral Marian

As Marian mentioned we had a simply wonderful passage across the Straits, again! In the last 2 years I’ve crossed the Straits of Georgia 5 times. On 4 of these crossings it was so calm I could have turned the stabilizers off, and in fact last year I did! Anyway we went through Porlier Pass against about a 3 knot current.
The only trouble we had on the journey was as we approached the south east end of Salt Spring Island a 36’ Grand Banks was approaching us from behind, on our Port side. In nautical terms he was the “burdened” vessel and should have altered course to avoid us, the “stand on vessel”. This is because he was behind us and overtaking us. Well he continued on his course and essentially pinched us between his course and the shoreline, less than 100 yards away. I took the helm from Tom and turned abruptly in his direction will pulling the power off. I wanted to leave no doubt in his mind that he had just caused us to take an emergency course of action because of his failure to alter course. I couldn’t have turned away from him, because of kelp beds along the shoreline. He finally got up off his helm chair and disengaged his autopilot to steer slightly to his port. It always amazes me how so few boaters consider others in their maneuvering.
Anyway after this incident we returned along our course and landed at Ganges about an hour later. Surprisingly the harbor was free of the thousands of crab pots that usually litter the approach. Oh, we did have another close call on the way to the dock. As I approached the dock I observed another large boat attempting to depart the marina along a fairway. I realized he probably would benefit by my stopping and allowing him additional room to maneuver out of the fairway so I shifted into reverse. Tom and Cindy were on the fore deck and Marian was in the Pilot house with me, so I made the unusual move of exiting the pilot house to look behind me. Again, I was still moving forward, but for some strange reason I felt compelled to make certain I wasn’t being overtaken from behind. Well imagine my horror when I observed a 40’ sailboat with his bow spirit bobbing up and down above my cockpit! He was swinging his boat to starboard in a desperate attempt to miss my stern, which he would not have cleared had I not run back to the controls and goosed it forward a bit. Then this idiot proceeds to accelerate around me to slip into his mooring before me. I was flabbergasted. Anyway, long story short no one collided and I’m sure his level of stress was a few notches above mine. The rest of the time at Ganges was delightful, to say the least!
-Skipper

No comments: